"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways declares the LORD." Isaiah 55:8

Even though this passage speaks of God's grace...it reminds me that when I think I know what's best, I really need to fall on my face and surrender my will to His.


Friday, December 7, 2007

A Birthday Cake

Since it was my husband's birthday yesterday, the children and I decided to make him a raw strawberry cake :o). It was so sweet and filling without the sugar or guilt :o). We had the rest this morning for breakfast along with our favorite raw shakes.




The recipe below originated from the book, Eating without Heating by Sergei & Valya Boutenko. Wonderful resource.




STRAWBERRY CAKE


Topping (or frosting)

1 C. fresh or frozen strawberries (if frozen use no sugar added fruit)
1 C. cashews
1 C. olive oil
5 Tbsp. honey
juice from one medium lemon
1 tsp. vanilla

Put the nuts in the blender and whiz until they are broken up into little pieces. Next add the rest of the frosting ingredients and blend until smooth. Add small amounts of water if it is too thick for your motor. (remember pulse is your best friend :o). When finished place in the freezer until needed to solidify the nuts and oil for a frosting consistency.


Crust

2 C. ground almonds (place in a blender and whiz until ground)
1 C. shredded coconut
3 Tbsp. olive oil (extra virgin cold pressed)
3 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. cinamon
1 tsp vanilla

Combine all the crust ingredients and mix well (your hands work best). Then separate "dough" into three balls and form the first layer of the cake on a plate. Take the "frosting" out of the freezer and spread a thin layer on the top of the cake layer. Form the next cake layer off to the side and then gently place it on the cake. Repeat until the cake has all of its layers; then frost like a regular cake.

If the frosting gets too runny, just put it back in the freezer until it gets more solid.

Refrigerate the cake immediately until you are ready to serve. Makes an 8 inch cake that yielded 12 slices.

Enjoy :o).

4 comments:

Diane said...

Christina,

I'm not much for reading blogs (time issue, really), but I think I've found one that is really going to help me! I posted on TOG yahoo list that your post there blessed me, and I do have a true desire to take control of my family's health and get me to old age so I can enjoy my grandkids!

Feel like taking on a project? :)

Diane (in Hong Kong for now)

Christina said...

Diane,

I so understand about the time issue. I battle that every night when I sit at the computer and wonder how in the world am I going to post everything that I want to share...and where to start. I began this blog only a month ago, so I pray time permits for me to post the links to glycemic indexing, acid/alkaline food charts, how to combine foods properly as well as information about what will harm us and what will heal us. Thank you for your kind words...to God be the glory :o). And yes, I'd love to take on a "project" ;o).

Hugs,

Christina (in Germany for now :o)

Diane said...

Christina,

I watched the raw foods You Tube video and it furthered my interest in the raw food movement.

Would you mind if I emailed you and started a discussion (your project!!) of my thoughts & concerns? This whole thing has been growing within me, and I must admit I have felt convicted to do this for years. Slowly but surely I'm starting, but now feel ready to take a bigger step.

Diane

Christina said...

Diane, I just sent you an email :o)...tag you're it!

Blessings,
Christina