"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways declares the LORD." Isaiah 55:8

Even though this passage speaks of God's grace...it reminds me that when I think I know what's best, I really need to fall on my face and surrender my will to His.


Monday, December 10, 2007

Potato Leek Soup

Seeing that the weather is getting rather chilly, I thought I would post a very fast, easy, low cost and yummy soup that only has a few ingredients. Potato leek soup has the potential to be spicy if the leeks are strong, so if you have children and spicy leeks...use more potatoes and less leeks :o).

3 Tbsp. butter or oil
3 large leeks (or 5 smaller ones)
2 1/2 or 3 cups potatoes of your choice
4 cups veggie broth
salt to taste
nutmeg all to taste
cayenne pepper (optional)


Wash the leeks out thoroughly, by trimming off the ends and slicing the leek lengthwise only half way through. This will allow you to rinse the layers of the leek without it falling apart. Once you have all the leeks clean, slice them into 1/4 inch "disks."

In a large pot, saute the leeks in the butter or oil until limp. This is a lot of leeks, don't worry they will cook down. While to leeks are cooking, wash and chop the potatoes into smallish cubes; if you want a soup that does not have brown "flecks" in it, peel the potatoes before chopping. After the leeks are limp, add the potatoes and vegetable broth. Increase the heat and cook until the potatoes can be mashed against the side of the pot with a little bit of effort.

Let it cool for a little bit, and then puree it in the blender until smooth. I prefer to have a few chunks of potatoes still intact for texture. The volume of soup will take several blenders full, so either have a big bowl ready or another pot in which to pour the pureed soup into.

Once the soup is pureed, turn the heat to low and add salt and nutmeg to taste. If you add too much nutmeg your soup will turn bitter...so add slowly. If you and your family like to spice things up add cayenne to give it a bit more "zip."

This soup is wonderful with rolls to dip in the soup along with a salad or a sandwich on the side. From start to finish this soup takes me about 25 minutes to prepare, and while the soup is simmering I finish the side items for a complete meal.

This will make about 6-8 adult servings.

Enjoy and stay warm out there :o)

C.

No comments: