"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways declares the LORD." Isaiah 55:8

Even though this passage speaks of God's grace...it reminds me that when I think I know what's best, I really need to fall on my face and surrender my will to His.


Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Blueberry Coconut Muffins

Here is a recipe taken from one of my all time favorite baking books: UPRISINGS (1986 edition). Unfortunately it is no longer in print, but I have found several copies on ebay and Amazon used book sales. This baking book is a co-operative effort from many whole food bakeries across America who shared their recipes. There are no refined sugars or processed food ingredients in this book, only wholesome baked treats to enjoy :o).


3/4 cup safflower (or coconut) oil
3/4 cup honey
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp lemon rind
3 tsp. vanilla

4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/8 cups shredded coconut
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or defrosted

Blend wet ingredients together with a whisk or beat well with a wooden spoon.

Mix together the flour, coconut and baking powder. Blend into wet ingredients. Lightly stir in the blueberries.

The batter will be thick (like cookie dough)-this makes a delicious muffin. You can add milk or water, however, if you desire a runnier batter.

Spoon batter into greased muffin pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Makes 18 muffins.

If you are using coconut oil make sure your berries are defrosted because the coconut oil will solidify when the berries cool the batter down. This will result in a very dense muffin (speaking from experience here).


I hope you enjoy these gems as much as we do :o) , C.


No comments: